...and baby makes THREE
PitaPata Dog tickers

Sunday, October 30, 2011

We Like Beer and we don't care who knows, IPAs, Lagers, Stouts...

So to continue on with our recent run of beers. We tried the Southern Tier Double IPA recently. Tiffany didn't care too much for this beer, but I thought I was pretty good. I found it to be quite hoppy, we a bit of a crisp kick at the end. (not sure how else to describe it). It was a bit strong. Not my favorite Southern Tier beer, and not my favorite IPA, but it was good. I would drink again.

Friday Tiffany said that we should go get some beer, so naturally I said "I'll be right back" I went down to Weilands Gourmet Market and looked through there selection. I stumbled across a brewing company I haven't heard of, Saranac, It was a 12 pack sampler of 6 different beers. We tried the Lager the first day and with all Lagers I found it to be a bit disappointing. I guess I am just not into that type of beer. I think it is better than your average domestic brew, but nothing I would go out of my way to drink. Tonight we are drinking Big Moose Ale which is an English Pale Ale. This one is much better. Similar to most IPA's that I have had, but perhaps not quite as Hoppy. I feel like it has a bit of a burnt Caramel flavor to it, but I could be making that up.

3 comments:

James said...

Continuing the Sarnac Beers... We tried the Vanilla stout, Bohemian Pilsener, and the India Copper ale.
The Pilsener wasn't anything special. I am not a pilsener guy, but it wasn't the worst beer I have had. Smelled like a good sour Dough bread fresh out of the oven. Lots of Carbonation. Won't go out of my way to drink it again.

The Vanilla stout was pretty good. I haven't been into stouts for a few years, but this was a nice change of pace. You could really taste the Vanilla. The Bottle suggested that you try it was a piece of dark chocolate. I wish I didn't read that right after I finished the beer because that is a great idea and we have dark chocolate... Damn it.

The India Copper Ale. What can I say... I am on a fairly big IPA kick. This was my favorite Saranac Beer. But by no means was it my favorite IPA. It's flavor is a bit weak, and I think that they tried to compensate for the lack of Hoppiness (not sure that is a word) with extra spices. This along with the Vanilla Stout I would buy again (especially for this low of a price), but I am not sure that I would go out of my way to get any of the others. For $11.99 this was a great 12 pack overall. We got to try some great beers.

James said...

Founders IPA... This ranks right up there with Bell's Two Hearted Ale. Aroma is smooth. Has a great bitter IPA flavor with a smooth Hoppy finish. Could be one of the best out there.

Tiffany said...

We need some more beer! And you need to blog about your brewing days :)